Wednesday 10 October 2012

A Tribute to Yew Tee – My Home

I remember when I first heard Yew Tee; I was confused and wondered what does it actually meant because I only knew Choa Chu Kang at that time.

That Time was in the year of 1995 when I visited my friend in this small town where there was nothing but a MRT station and a small shopping centre more famous for its ‘Family Foodcourt’ and McDonald’s than anything else.

Never did I know that I will be moving into Yew Tee in the year 2000, where I have been staying for the past 12 years.
So what does Yew Tee actually means? It means "oil pond" in Teochew. The village was named like this because oil was being stored during the Japanese Occupation. It was once a bustling village with small time farmers that planted vegetables, ducks and chickens where it housed more than 300 families.
Despite being a small town; there is plenty to offer and just recently, a shopping mall Yew Tee Point was added at the heart of the town alongside Yee Tee Square.
 
Before the current foodcourt in Yew Tee Square, there was the now defunct Family foodcourt where I used to have my meals day in day out and I loved Fei Siong Fishball Noodles! Another stall not to be missed was Teck Lee Nasi Lemak (Currently at the Kopitiam located at the MRT Station).
 
Many have changed over the years and without noticing it, Yew Tee has turned into a town that has boomed with many new residents contributing to the warmth of this place I call Home.
 
With regular visits to NTUC Fairprice to get daily necessities and meals at Koufu foodcourt plus purchases of pastries at Crystal Jade and Four Leaves, Yew Tee Point have what I wanted to get all the time. Recently, Pastamania was added to the list of tenants (Did you hear me saying Triple Cheese Pizza)?
Just beside the mall is Yew Tee Square, a place that I am very familiar with for the past 12 years and although the foodcourt has been revamped with new stalls, it still serves a wide variety of food ranging from Korean to Taiwanese and even Japanese Teppanyaki!
Opposite my block lies a neighbouring coffeeshop which have seen its fair share in change of tenants. The only stall that did not change was the Zi Char Stall which is ever so popular with the local residents. The amazing part is, despite being a small coffeeshop – it is always packed to the brim.
 
 
What I like most about this town is Pang Sua Park Connector which is beside the area I am staying in. I spend many of my evenings jogging along this stretch of nature and gave me inspirations yet quiet moments on my own.
 
Recently, I always make short walks around Yew Tee especially the main stretch towards the heart of the town to reminisce the past 12 years of journey.
 
As I end my 12 years’ association with Yew Tee, I will never forget that this town has seen me through many events in my life. I will be moving on to another town soon but something will never change.
 
Yewtee -  A Better Home for All
 
 Signing Off
I Eat I Breathe
Lifestyle ‘K’ Maestro
 Have you liked my Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/foodkmaestro.sg?

No comments:

Post a Comment