Thursday 25 October 2012

Old School Delights

Located at a small shophouse on Upper Thomson Road, I have failed to spot this café (at all!) which I regretted not dropping by earlier.


For Generation Y and Z, it might just be another concept or theme café but for someone like me from the 80s’, this place is an absolute gem! (Oh My! did I just mention how old I am?)

 
When I first stepped in, I was immediately drawn by that all so familiar feeling that brought me through childhood especially the fan that I saw right at the entrance and the old school metal robot on the shelf
 
 
Can you imagine scribbling my order on an old school whiteboard? That already had caught my attention, not to mention the food that I grew up eating over the Retro ages.
Food Menu
I started by ordering Kueh Pie Ti, an all-time favourite of mine whenever I dropped by any popiah stall. Crispy on the outside with a mixture of sweet and sour taste along with the star of the dish; Turnip, which brought me plenty of memories during my school days with friends.
Kueh Pie Ti
Did I forget to say that I ordered a Kopi O Gao? What I like is definitely the cup and saucer although many of the coffee shops out there also serve the same , I still find it more addictive because of the ambience.
Kopi O Gao
Growing up eating Curry Chicken cooked from that pair of magical hands that my grandmother had, I never had a chance to eat after she passed away in the fall of 1992. Even though the taste is not similar but having this bowl of chicken curry on a table I have eaten during those days in Mandai was still heartwarming. (I remember vividly those kampong days)
Curry Rice
When I was on my way to the restroom, I noticed something I just couldn’t miss…a Ghostbusters DVD and an old school TV (Like those that was first launched in Community Clubs when it was considered a main attraction!) Just listening to the ‘Majullah Singapura’ in Black and White Color is really heartwarming and full of memories (even though i was already watching colour television in the 80's)


How can I miss out Chendol, one of my most beloved dessert (other than ICE BALL)? The wholesome of the coconut taste and milky sensation in my mouth cured my thirst after all the savoury food I had earlier (but i am not complaining!)

Chendol

Before I headed out, I noticed a full range of games I played during school days right at the counter (remember five stones, snakes and ladders, old maid etc)


Remember to drop by Old School Delights, a place where memories are relived and friendship rekindled.

P/S: You wont see the last of me here at Old School Delights...When something's OLD in the neighbourhood, who you call? Food 'K' Maestro!!

Signing Off,

I Eat I Breathe
Food ‘K’ Maestro

Follow me on my Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/foodkmaestro.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment