Tuesday 2 October 2012

Places That I Grew Up in (Part 3 of 5)

Bukit Batok

‘Coughing Hill’ has been the place where I spent almost 2 and half decades growing up in and is still part of this town that was once famous for granite in the 1950s.

Ever wondered why was it called ‘Coughing Hill’? Because the blasting noises from granite quarrying sounded very much as if the hill were coughing from far off. (Fun Fact)

My family moved into this part of the island in the year 1984 and there were only a few blocks of flats, unlike what I am seeing now – a town with everything needed without going out of it. If you remember ‘Ke Kou Duck Rice’, Part 2 of Food I Grew Up With, it was the only coffee shop visible in the vicinity at that time with no Mass Rapid Transit Stations (First Station started in 1987 at Bishan) and the only public buses were 852 and 157 (Numbers still running to Yishun and Toa Payoh respectively).
 
I remembered so clearly that my father used to bring us to the nearby swimming complex for an evening swim if he was back from work early enough before the operating hours were over. It was also at this very place that I choked on my first mouthful of water! But it was also here I learnt the basic ropes of swimming and it has followed me ever since.
If you are able to spot it, just beside Bukit Batok Central lies a tiny little hill where fitness facilities and a jogging track is located. I spent many years of my morning jogs around this track especially at 5am! Right down by the slope lies a basketball court where my brothers and I used to play basketball almost every evening but was gutted whenever we saw people playing soccer on a basketball court. Until today, I still feel frustrated by this act because I am still seeing people doing it at the same place when there is a soccer court just 50 metres away!
 
Sheltered Basketball Court

Jogging Path
I always feel that the little path that leads towards the block I used to stay ‘a walk down memory lane’. Reason? Because many of my friends who I have known over the years have accompanied me through this journey and as I was thinking of this part of the write-up, these friends came right through my mind.
Bukit Batok East was the place where I used to get the most delicious fish balls and also the place where my youngest brother got lost at 3 years old and when he was found, he asked why we were lost instead of him! (Phew…Glad we caught him if not he wouldn’t be the pride of the family now) Thinking back still brings fond and funny memories to us, especially my parents. Although the fish ball stall ceased to exit, I still drop by once in a while to have a coffee for some quiet moments before I head to Bukit Batok Nature Reserve for a breather and a walk too. Bukit Batok Nature Reserve is one of the biggest in Singapore with 36 Hectares of nature and I am always amazed to be around the history of the Japanese Occupation (Old Ford Motor Factory and Bukit Timah Nature Reserve).




At the heart of the town is West Mall where I used to hang out at the library and watching movies with my friends and family. For now, it has become a regular spot for me to have coffee and at times, drop by the library to get some books. The downside of it is that it doesn’t have a Starbucks for me to rest and relax but overall, it is still a mall that I can get almost what I need for daily necessities.


Mcdonald’s again? Yes, I am going to mention this fast food chain in this part of the series. Which kid does not have a history of loving Mcdonald’s? I am sure most of us spent much of our time there at some stages of our childhood and teenage years.

My Father loves the Filet O Fish and I was the one tasked to buy for the family every time we have a craving for it. Whenever my youngest brother wanted to eat, I will buy it for him and myself (I love double cheeseburger and McNuggets). This is also the place where I always study (I think tried is a better word) and chit-chat with friends after school or ECA (Extra Curriculum Activities – Our terms during school days). Nowadays, I will come by with my mother once in a while to catch her favourite mocha at McCafe and for me, a double shot cafĂ© latte.
Looking back at the last 2 decades, there were good and bad memories but it all formed a part of this stage of my life. I cherish this town, this place which gave me my childhood, high school days and till now too.

Bukit Batok – ‘The Coughing Hill’ that brought me through the years

 
Signing Off,

I Eat I Breathe
Food ‘K’ Maestro

Related Links
Places that I Grew Up In (Part 1/5)
Places that I Grew Up In (Part 2/5)

Have you like my Facebook Page at http://www.facebook.com/foodkmaestro.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment