Friday 5 October 2012

Woodlands – A Walk through Singapore’s Northern ‘Central’

Firstly, Thank You Edison Lim and Aimee Qiu for taking the time off for a walk through Woodlands and introduced me to three of their favourite dishes!

When Singapore was still in its infant stages of establishing as a trading port after Sir Stamford Raffles first landed in 1819, Woodlands connected the Malayan Peninsula to Singapore through the Johor Bahru-Singapore in 1924.
As a town that is still in constant development, Woodlands has given me a totally different feel as compared to more established towns like Choa Chu Kang, Yishun and Ang Mo Kio. It has also a distinct style by having a more relaxed and off the beat environment as well.

As I was into the last page of Howard Schultz’s (CEO and Chairman of Starbucks) Pour your heart into it with a Venti Size Café Latte at Woodlands’ Civic Centre’s Starbucks ‘Home’ (Can Life gets any better with this book, this beverage and this environment), Edison and Aimee which are both polytechnic students approached me and we immediately hit it off!

I was told that 888 Plaza have one of the nicest hawker stalls in Woodlands and we headed there by hopping up 900 (a local feeder bus service).

As I was waiting for Edison to order Signature Bak Chor Mee from Ding Ji and Chicken Cutlet Rice from Golden Rooster in Wan Shun Food Court, I cannot help but noticed that Aimee has slipped off to get me her favourite Korean Ramen from Bai Sheng Food Court.



The first dish that was being brought to me is the Signature Bak Chor Mee which is dry in texture and the noodles are rather ‘Q’ with a generous piece of braised pork meat. With mixes of minced meat, braised mushrooms and dumplings complimented with the braised sauce, this has to be one of my favourite dishes in this food court!


Bak Chor Mee

Ever seen Chicken Cutlet Rice with the chicken in bite sizes? Look no further because it is the first time I have eaten Chicken Cutlet served this way.  What caught me by surprise was the moment I had that first mouth of bite in my mouth. Reason – The bite is crispy and the meat is tender but most importantly, I do not feel the oil ‘splashing’ all over my mouth.

Chicken Cutlet Rice
Now to Aimee’s Korean Ramen! Even though it was served in takeaway, the noodles are not soggy and the soup base is slightly spicy without the ‘Red and Hot’ Colour. The Noodles has been cooked along with the soup for a reasonable amount of time for the taste to compliment the whole dish. This is one of the healthier choice I have tasted so much and suit friends who cannot stand spiciness!
Korean Ramen
 
Among the eating and the chatting, I also come to know that Edison is actively involved in the local grassroots activities and definitely setting a good example to the many young adults out there. With a good IT background, he will be a valuable asset to the local community in this field and Aimee who majors in Photography and Marketing will look to bring a whole new light to Woodlands in the years to come.
Edison
 
Aimee
 
Well, all good things have to come to an end and with that, I bid farewell to Edison and Aimee after the whole experience and promised to catch up if an opportunity arises. As I slowly walked in the heart of Woodlands, it took me back to where it all started…Causeway Point Shopping Mall, Where it all started.
 
Woodlands – Unique in its own right.
 
Signing Off,

I Eat I Breathe
Food ‘K’ Maestro


Have you like my Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/foodkmaestro.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment